Jorginho

Milan have joined Barcelona in the race to sign Chelsea midfielder Jorginho on a free transfer next summer, according to reports.

The 30-year-old, who joined the Blues from Napoli in 2018, has yet to sign a new contract at Stamford Bridge and is set to become a free agent next summer.

Sportsmail revealed on Tuesday that Barcelona were interested in the midfielder, but it is now understood that Milan have also joined the pursuit, keen to lure Jorginho back to Serie A.

According to SPORT, Barcelona would need to reduce their wage bill in order to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations, having completed a handful of high-profile signings last summer.

The Catalan club needed to activate economic levers to register several new blockbuster arrivals such as Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and Jules Kounde, having suffered from financial instability in recent seasons.

The Spanish newspaper also believes that Milan, who won Serie A last campaign, will benefit from the Italian tax system, which is reportedly far less aggressive.

The outlet claims that Barcelona are hoping that Jorginho snubs Serie A in pursuit of a fresh challenge in LaLiga, having previously spent eight successive years in Italy at Hellas Verona and Napoli.

However, Jorginho insisted earlier this week that he was ‘very happy’ at Stamford Bridge.

The Italian said: ‘I’m very happy at the moment we’re all very focused on what we need to do. I’m enjoying life here.

‘I’m enjoying working with everyone and I think everybody says the same thing. It’s enjoyable to be at Chelsea.’

Jorginho has carved out a fruitful four-year spell at Stamford Bridge, winning both the Champions League in 2021 and Europa League in 2019.

The midfielder has also demonstrated his importance for Italy on the international stage, guiding his country to Euro 2020 triumph last year.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here