Ryan Giggs

Ryan Giggs will have to stand trial all over again, facing charges of assault and coercive and controlling behaviour against his ex-girlfriend, it was announced today.

But the former Manchester United and Wales footballer now has an agonising wait of at least ten months to learn his fate at a retrial.

The retrial decision came after the Crown Prosecution Service decided it would pursue a prosecution against the former Manchester United and Wales footballer after a jury failed to reach a verdict last week following a three-week trial.

The former Wales coach, 48, is accused of assaulting Kate Greville, 38, and her 26-year-old sister Emma amid a booze-fuelled argument at Giggs’ multi-million pound home in Worsley.

He also stands accused of coercive and controlling behaviour towards PR executive Greville over three years – charges which he denies.

During a brief hearing at Manchester Crown Court today, the judge approved a prosecution application for a second trial. Giggs was excused attendance.

Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, told Judge Hilary Manley: ‘We do seek a re-trial in respect of Mr Giggs.

‘The matter has been considered at a senior level within the Crown Prosecution Service and also the willingness of the complainant to give evidence, although that is not determinative on the matter, has also been canvassed.

‘They indicate a preparedness so to do. Consequently we do invite you to fix a date for the re-trial of this matter.’

Judge Manley fixed a trial date, on the next date available to both prosecution and defence lawyers, of July 31, 2023 for a trial estimated to last three or four weeks.

A pre-trial hearing was also set for July 3. Giggs’ defence team did not speak in court.

Judge Manley said Giggs was not required to be present at the hearing ‘but is well aware of the bail conditions’.

The charges against Giggs were examined at Manchester Crown Court throughout the month of August but the jury failed to reach a verdict after 20 hours of deliberations.

But his new trial will not take place until at least July of next year, meaning the former Man Utd winger now faces an agonising wait to learn his fate.

After close to an entire day of deliberation, the seven women and four men on the jury at Manchester Crown Court were discharged after failing to reach a verdict on August 31.

There were only 11 jurors because one became ill and was discharged. The hearing, which lasted 17 days, is estimated to have cost the taxpayer more than £100,000.

The former footballer dropped his head and appeared crestfallen when an earliest provisional retrial date of June 5 was relayed to the court.

Giggs’ mother, Lynne, who has supported her son throughout and looked on from the public gallery, held her head in her hands. Outside court she said her son’s life was ‘on hold’.

During the first trial, Giggs broke down and sobbed in court as he recounted how spending the night in the cells following his arrest was the ‘worst experience of my life’.

The former Wales manager was accused of controlling and coercing Miss Greville.

When she announced she was leaving him, on November 1, 2020, Giggs allegedly headbutted her at his mansion in Worsley, Greater Manchester.

He was also accused of assaulting her sister, Emma, 26, who was at the property looking after the couple’s puppy.

Giggs denied one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and two offences of assault.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here