Hasan Salihamidzic

Bayern Munich’s sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has dismissed rumours that his side are interested in signing Harry Kane – and insists they will play ‘without a nine’.

The Bundesliga champions had been closely linked with a move for the Tottenham and England striker after Julian Nagelsmann spoke highly of Kane in a press conference.

However, Salihamidzic has now suggested that these were just ‘rumours’ and insisted that the Bavarian already have squad depth that ‘rare in Europe’.

Speaking to Suddeutsche Zeitung, Salihamidzic said: ‘These are rumours. We’re going a different way for now. Manchester City and Liverpool have been successful for years without a nine.

‘We could substitute four players of almost the same quality for four positions. So much offensive quality is rare in Europe. It’s now the job of the coach and his team to moderate that.’

Bayern had been linked with a move for the Spurs striker following the departure of Robert Lewandowski to Barcelona earlier in the window.

However, the Bundesliga champions have already made a number of reinforcements this summer including Liverpool’s Sadio Mane, young star Mathys Tel from Stade Rennais and Matthjis de Ligt from Juventus.

Bayern’s supposed interest in Kane drew frustrations from Spurs boss Antonio Conte last month – after he hit out at Julian Nagelsmann for talking about his admiration for the Englishman.

‘Honestly, I did not hear this,’ said the Italian of Nagelsmann’s remarks. ‘For sure, I am a coach that does not speak about other players at other teams.

‘I don’t know why. The situation with Tottenham is very clear. The plan is very clear with the club. He [Kane] is a part of the project, an important part of the project.’

The England captain is preparing to kick-start Spurs’ Premier League campaign on Saturday as they host Southampton in their season opener.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here