Conor McGregor showed an interest in buying Chelsea following Roman Abramovich’s decision to sell, but he would not be the first (rich) athletic celebrity to invest in football.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 2, 2022
Despite his support for Manchester United, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion may utilize part of his enormous wealth to venture into football.
Here’s our five-man list of some of the richest men and women in the world of sports, already owning shares in football clubs.
- Ronaldo Nazario – Real Valladolid
- Rafael Nadal – Real Mallorca
Back in 2010, legendary tennis player Rafael Nadal and his uncle Miguel Nadal purchased a 10% shareholding in Real Mallorca but they later sold part of it in 2019.
- Lebron James – Liverpool
- David Beckham – Inter Miami
- Serena Williams – Angel City
The interesting this about this women’s team based in the United States of America is that it’s majorly owned by women and their daughters.
– Candace Parker (NBA Women Player) and her daughter, Lailaa
– Serena Williams (Tennis Legend) and her daughter, Olympia
– Gabrielle Union (Actor) and her daughter, Kaavia James
McGregor owning Chelsea is something that Roman and his board/trustees will have to agree on, with reports indicating that more than 10 bids have already been put in for the London-based club.