New Fenerbahce manager Jorge Jesus had said that Mesut Ozil will not play for the Turkish side again under his tenure, according to the Daily Mail.
This follows 18 months after Ozil was exiled by Arsenal in a fallout with the club. Ozil has not played for the Turkish Super Lig side since March 20 after he was excluded from the squad following a row with interim head coach Ismail Kartal over his fitness.
Jorge Jesus has since said he will follow in the former manager’s footsteps and keep the former Real Madrid and Arsenal star out of the squad.
”He had his time, his space,’ Jesus said on Wednesday.
”He has a beautiful history in Turkey, nobody can take it away from him.
”He is a well-known player around the world. But I will follow exactly what was the end of the Ozil era.
”The most important thing here is not the coach Jorge Jesus, the most important thing here is not the player Ozil, the most important thing here is not any player.
”The most important thing here is Fenerbahce and it is from there that I build my ideas and the players who come to work with me.”
Earlier in the week, Ozil had revealed he had no plans to leave Fenerbahce during the summer. The midfielder still plans to retire at the club despite being frozen out of the current squad.