The Premier League continues this weekend with a number of key clashes, among them, a top-of-the-table battle between Man City and Liverpool.
Another clash will see Southampton play host to Chelsea at St. Mary’s Park.
The European champions will be looking to bounce back from two successive defeats, one among them in the Premier League, when they went down 4-1 at home against Brentford.
Here is all you need to know ahead of the clash;
Head to head
- Chelsea have lost just one of their 13 Premier League games at St. Mary’s Stadium
- The Blues are unbeaten in their last eight visits at the stadium
- Mauricio Pochettino was in charge the last time Southampton beat Chelsea at St. Mary’s, in 2013
- Thomas Tuchel’s side have lost just once in their last 12 meeting with Southampton
- Tuchel’s side won the reverse fixture at Stamford Bridge in October 3-1
- The Blues are hoping to avoid consecutive league defeats under Tuchel for the first time, last doing so in December 2020 when Frank Lampard was in charge
- Tuchel has managed the most Premier League matches without losing consecutive games in the history of the competition (48)
- Only Manchester City (eight) has conceded fewer away league goals than Chelsea in the top-flight this term (nine from 15 games)
- Chelsea have opened the scoring in their last seven Premier League matches, their longest run since September – November 2019
- The Blues have dropped 16 points from winning positions this season
- Tuchel’s side require a maximum 20 points from their remaining nine games to secure a top-four spot and Champions League football again next season
- Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side are looking for their first Premier League win since beating Norwich at home on 25 February
- Armando Broja is ineligible to play against his parent club
- Only David Beckham (18) has scored more direct free-kicks in the Premier League than Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse (13)
- Ward-Prowse has created more chances from set plays than any other player in the Premier League this season (37)
- Southampton have the 11th-best home record in the Premier League this season winning 22 points from their 15 games at St Mary’s.
- The Saints last lost three in a row at home in the competition in January/February 2021