Karim Benzema stunned the world of football with his display against Paris St. Germain in the Champions League on Wednesday, hitting three and dumping the French giants out of the competition while at it.
But before that, on Tuesday, Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski scored a first-half hat-trick for his side in a 7-1 victory over Red Bull Salzburg that booked the team’s place in the quarter-finals.
These two top gunmen have bagged several hattricks in their illustrious careers, and it is never a shock when they score. But who are the 20 players with the most hat-tricks for club and country in the 21st century?
Let’s count it down:
- Wayne Rooney (Retired) | 9 hat-tricks
- Edin Dzeko (Inter Milan) | 9 hat-tricks
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) | 9 hat-tricks
- Miroslav Klose (Retired) | 9 hat-tricks
- Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) | 9 hat-tricks
- Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain) | 9 hat-tricks
- Thierry Henry (Retired) | 11 hat-tricks
- Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain) | 11 hat-tricks
- Gonzalo Higuain (Inter Miami) | 12 hat-tricks
- Roberto Soldado (Levante) | 12 hat-tricks
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Barcelona) | 12 hat-tricks
- Edinson Cavani (Manchester United) | 15 hat-tricks
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (AC Milan) | 17 hat-tricks
- Sergio Aguero (Retired) | 18 hat-tricks
- Mario Gomez (Retired) | 18 hat-tricks
- Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) | 18 hat-tricks
- Luis Suarez (Atletico Madrid) | 21 hat-tricks
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) | 29 hat-tricks
- Lionel Messi (Paris Saint-Germain) | 54 hat-tricks
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) | 58 hat-tricks
Are numbers 1 and 2 really a shock?