Football’s oldest competition, the FA Cup, is set for its 141st season this year.
Already, the competition has started in the initial phases, which is normally contested by teams in the lower divisions.
So, what do we know? What’s the schedule?
📅 FA Cup 2021-22 dates
- August 7, 2021 – October 16, 2021 – Qualifying rounds
- November 6, 2021 – First round proper
- December 4, 2021 – Second round proper
- January 8, 2022 – Third round proper
- February 5, 2022 – Fourth round proper
- March 2, 2022 – Fifth round proper
- March 19, 2022 – Quarter-finals
- April 23, 2022 – Semi-finals
- May 14, 2022 – Final
How it works
The competition allows for teams in almost all tiers to participate and is normally divided into a number of rounds.
The qualifying rounds started in August, with the first round proper commencing in November.
The second round proper will be in December, while the third round, where Premier League clubs and Championship clubs enter is set for January.
Leicester City are the defending champions following their 1-0 win over Chelsea in May, with Youri Tielman’s grabbing the only goal of the match.
It was the Foxes’ first-ever victory in the competition, having lost in four previous final appearances (1949, 1961, 1963, and 1969).